Most people my age consider family as just a group of people they have to deal with on a regular basis. They don’t necessarily enjoy spending time with them, instead do it either out of moral obligation or due to the fear of every mother’s ultimate weapon – guilt trip.
They would much rather spend this time hanging out with their BFFs.
For me, however, it is entirely the opposite; my nuclear family (parents and siblings) are my utmost BFFs. This may sound sad or maybe even corny, but I assure you for me it is neither. It is quite simply just the truth.
My family is by no means normal. We are crazy, loud, goofy, playful, dysfunctional and on ocassion, even polite.
I happen to be the youngest among them, the perfect product (I swear I’m not a narcissist) born after my parents had already gone through 4 trial and error experiments (sorry guys!); giving me 3 elder sisters and a brother.
This is my way of describing each famjam member:
1. Baba – He is a super social person which means whenever a whole tirade of guests suddenly show up, all our eyes turn towards him.
2. Ammi – With her extra cuddly hugs and sporadic yet perfectly timed jokes, for me she is the family’s all-rounder.
3. Bajjo – The sister who is forever there to keep all of us in line (including the ‘rents) whenever we are about to start gossiping about that party we just got back from.
4. Bhai – All things Goofy. He makes jokes at the most random moments regarding anyone and anything, and somehow manages to always get away with it.
5. Baji – She is the sister I go to when I need to hear all the family gossip, because while everyone else thinks I’m a kid, she understands I know a little too much anyway.
6. Behn – The source of getting all things entertaining; be it pre-downloaded movies, TV shows, songs or any of the awesome new authors she has just discovered.
So while I may be considered a black sheep among friends for voluntarily choosing to spend time with my family, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Does your crazy beat our kinda crazy?